This aubergine – or eggplant – dish has a smoked flavour to it. It is a slow cook dish that needs some time to mature in flavour. It’s a perfect cosy winter dish served with rice or bulgur and sprinkled with fresh Parmesan cheese. The dish is vegan if served without the Parmesan cheese.
The dish can be stored in the freezer for another day.
Cooking time: 90 minutes, 30 minutes preparation and 1 hour of simmering.
|Nutritional value 1 portion: 218 kcal|
26 g (45 E%)
11 g (43 E%)
7 g (12 E%)
|+ 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese contains: 21 kcal|
0 g (0 E%)
1 g (53 E%)
2 g (47 E%)
- 2 / 900 g / 2 lb aubergines or eggplants
- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp green pesto
- 800 g / 3 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 6 tbsp / 40 g / 1 1/2 oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Peel 2 aubergines, and cut them in 1 centimeter thick slices. Spread them out and sprinkle quite a lot of table salt on both sides. Let them sit for 20 minutes until they start to ?sweat?. This will take out any bitterness.
- Do some stomach crunches, stretch out or put your feet up, take some time out, do some meditation, whatever you prefer.
- After 20 minutes – or more – has passed, peel and chop 2 onions and brown them in 1 tbsp oil. Put the onions aside.
- Rinse each of the aubergine pieces and squeeze the liquid out of them, before dicing them. Fry in the pan with 1 tbsp oil. Add 2 tbsp green pesto and fry with the aubergine on low heat, until they are soft for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the onions to the aubergine with 800 g / 3 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes, 300 ml / 1 1/4 cup water, 1 tbsp oregano, 1 tsp paprika powder, 1 tsp chilli powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the sauce simmer for at least 20 minutes – more if you have time. It can cook for up to an hour – it will only improve the flavour.
- Serve with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese.