A protein rich spicy chilli with a lot of beans and soya crumbles .
You can get soya crumbles both dried and frozen. Frozen soya saves time. Soya can be genetically modified so look for GMO-free soya. It can also be very salty, so no extra salt needed!
Serve with whole bulgur and a dollop of yogurt. A chilli can be served straight away, but tastes much better the day after.
Cooking time: 30 minutes. Longer if you are using the dried soya crumbles.
|Nutritional value 1 portion: 264 kcal|
26 g (38 E%)
4 g (13 E%)
33 g (49 E%)*
|*The percentage of protein is high. Guidelines are: carbohydrates 45-60 E%, fat 25-40 E% and protein 10-20%. In the combined meal the recommendations are more balanced.|
|+ 200 ml / 1 cup bulgur and 2 tbsp Turkish yogurt contains: 152 kcal|
27 g (70 E%)
3 g (17 E%)
5 g (13 E%)
- 3 onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 300 g / 11 oz frozen soya crumbles
- 800 g / 3 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 230 g / 8 oz large white beans
- 230 g / 8 oz black beans
- 2 tsp / 1 cube vegetable stock
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red paprika powder
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 0.5 tsp Tabasco
- 1 tsp Sambal Olek
- 1 tsp honey
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- 300 ml / 1 1/4 cup water
Can be served with:
- Whole bulgur
- Turkish yogurt (or soy yogurt)
- Peel and chop 3 onions and 3 cloves garlic. Brown the onion and garlic soft in 1 tbsp cooking oil on low heat in a pot.
- Stir in 300 g soya crumbles and brown a little more.
- Add 800 g / 3 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes.
- Add the herbs: 2 tsp / 1 cube vegetable stock, 0.5 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp of dried oregano, 1 tsp of red paprika powder, 0.5 tsp of turmeric, 0.5 tsp of Tabasco, 1 tsp of Sambal Olek, 1 tsp of honey, 0.5 tsp of black pepper and 300 ml / 1 1/4 cup water. Don’t add any salt, since the soya crumbles can be quite salty already. Let is simmer for 10 minutes.
- Rinse 230 g / 8 oz large white beans and 230 g / 8 oz black beans. Add the beans to the pot and bring to a boil. Done.